Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Model 78 Production Dates

Started by Dave Hughes, December 17, 2010, 10:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I've been approached by Matt Harvey, who is a Social History Curator at a museum on the island of Guernsey.

He's keen to find out some more info on a linecaster he's about to acquire:

We are about to acquire a Linotype machine that bears a Maker's Plate with the follwing information:
"Manufactured at Altringham, Cheshire, England by Linotype & Machinery Ltd., London. LINOTYPE. Model 78  No 18839".

Do any of your members have an idea of the production date for this particular machine?

Also, another Makers Plate was discovered ( not attached to any machine ) which says "Model 4 No. MCXXPR".
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Were older Linotype Models "upgraded" with more modern parts additions and then re-issued with a newer Model No.??

Anyone any ideas?

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dan Williams

Production dates for American Linotypes seems to be well documented. Perhaps thats because some of Mergenthalers records were preserved. I wonder whether anything remains of Linotype & Machinery's records.

Dave Hughes

John Nicholson contacted me from New Zealand on this matter, saying:

QuoteOur newest 78 was Serial No. 18621, Shipped on the 2nd March 1968.

That machine will have been shipped from the UK.

I think it safe to say, then, that the machine in question on the island of Guernsey, with a serial number about 200 higher, would date from the late 1960s, possibly early 1970s.

Not sure about the maker's plate from the Model 4 though. Are we looking at Roman numerals?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚