Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Mobile Print Shop

Started by Dave Hughes, August 27, 2011, 01:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Very interesting article, from 1941, reproduced here courtesy of the excellent Modern Mechanix website.

A mobile print shop for producing programmes at the race track.

In a space measuring 31 feet by 9 feet they manage to fit in Linotype machines (note the plural) stereotype machine, rotary press and binding equipment!

I'm not sure if the same flexible method of printing programmes, according to the size of the crowd that happens to turn up on the day, could be replicated today, after 70 years of technological advances!

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dan Williams

In 2011, one or more digital copy systems could generate bound books from direct entry. Main advantage is the graphics vs. B-W text. And, no remelt. But I'm not sure about the economics of such systems for something like this (or anything else for that matter given their extreme up-front expense).  Cool idea, but I suspect its better to send programs out to print beforehand.

Mechanic

Mobile Print Shops were certainly active during the second world war. Here are a couple of photos taken in Borneo. I believe Metal Type is not contravening copyright by posting these photos. The Australian War Memorial
states:-
QuoteImage copyright: Copyright expired - public domain
Managed by Australian War Memorial
Rights
You do not have to seek permission to use the Memorial's images for your personal, non-commercial use or use within your organisation. You must seek permission to use the Memorial's images for commercial publication.

MOROTAI. 1945-09-11. A http://www.awm.gov.au/search/collections/

Printing Borneo second world war 1939-1945

Morotai, Borneo 1945-12-01. 1st Australian press unit, publishers of the AIF newspaper "Table Tops". VX112689 corporal (Cpl) J. D. Ellis, linotype mechanic; QX31671 Cpl L. Yates, linotype operator; qx43149 private (Pte) H. N. Solomon, linotype operator; and WX169129 Pte L. C. Norris, linotype operator at work on the unit's truck mounted linotype machine. (Photographer Ssgt R. L. Stewart)

Printer operating printing equipment mounted on a semi-trailer belonging to the 1st Australian Press Unit, publishers of the army newspaper "Table Tops". (Photographer SSgt R. Stewart)

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚