Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Smashing Up Traded-In Linotypes

Started by Dave Hughes, August 06, 2012, 11:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Not sure what's going on in this pic.

Here's the caption:
QuoteDestroying traded-in Linotype machines to keep them off the market. 1937 promotional photograph with employees of the Boston "Globe." The company had just purchased new machines.

Did Linotype operate some kind of trade-in policy but didn't want the machines back?

Just evidence that they had been destroyed?

Seems a shame!

Mergenthaler Linotype by bielerpr, on Flickr
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

Canadian Linotype would usually overhaul recent vintage linotypes, such as low base Model 5, 8 and 14. High based and older machines were scrapped. Back in the late 1950's I was sent to Northern Ontario to give another linotype mechanic, who had injured his back, a hand to install a model 5. An old model 1 had been traded and we were told to scrap the old machine.
After we had finished the erection of the new machine, the operator sat down and set a few lines and asked what would happen to the old machine. I told him it would be scrapped. We would break it up with a sledge hammer and we had arranged for a scrap dealer to pick up the pieces.
The operator said, "Please let me have first wack at it. That rotten machine has given me nothing but trouble for years."
We moved the old machine into the parking lot, I handed the operator the sledge hammer. He took two swings. The first right into the assembler entrance, the second broke the keyboard off.
He handed the hammer back and said, "You've made my day."
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚