Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linotype (model 8?) in Centralia, WA USA

Started by JKOPEL, October 08, 2012, 06:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

JKOPEL

Hello,
I am not sure this is proper, or if anyone is interested, but I am posting because I saw a Linotype in an old print shop in Centralia, Washington that is headed for scrap if no one wants it soon.
There are cabinets full of parts, a bunch of mats (if that is what the brass molds are called) and lots of literature.
The machine is in a building that used to house a printing business, and it apparently originally belonged to the local Centralia newspaper.
My wife an I were there buying foundry type, and small letterpress stuff and when I asked the new owner about the Linotype he said he was willing to give it away to someone who knew what to do with it. I am not completely sure I believe that, but it might be worth your while to check.

If you think you could reasonably save the thing, or know someone who could, get in touch and I will give you contact information.
Thanks,
Josh

Dave Hughes

Welcome to the forum Josh, and thanks for the info.

I'm hoping someone may take this up.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Jeffrey W

Thanks for posting...how would I proceed? I am interested. I live in San Francisco, California.

JKOPEL

I am glad someone is interested!
He just posted to craigslist today with a picture of the Linotype.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/tls/3324646996.html

If you send me a message on this forum, I will send you his direct email address.
You might be better off with the phone number in the ad since he was not very fast responding to emails.

Josh

Dave Hughes

Would be nice to see a result on this one, save the machine being broken up for scrap.

Here's a picture:

Click for a better look!

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚