Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

And there's ink in his blood still.

Started by Mechanic, December 11, 2012, 04:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

An interesting story from the Canberra Times.

http://tinyurl.com/bab3n3x

QuoteJim Woods, OAM, 99, would be remarkable enough just for his great age (''I was born in Temora on the 11th of the 11th, 1913, and that's a long time ago!'') but this reporter sallied forth to interview him because he is the founder and inspiration of a dazzlingly fine local museum.

The Queanbeyan Age printing museum is a stimulating establishment that I blush to confess to never having heard of until a fortnight ago. Anxious to atone, I've just spent an enlightening afternoon there talking to Woods and marvelling at the still-working printing contraptions of yesteryear. ''We could print a newspaper tomorrow,'' he claims.

At the museum, Woods, who was boss of The Queanbeyan Age until it was sold to Rural Press in 1994, explains that he set out along what he calls the ''inky way'' (a life in printing and newspapers) when he was only six.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚