Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Harrison & Sons 1950

Started by Dave Hughes, August 17, 2007, 02:19:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

If anyone who appeared on this Metal Type photograph, sent in by Ernest Bray, or Ernest himself, would like a chat with Frank Potts, who started his apprentieship in the same composing room in 1954 and remembers many of the comps mentioned, please reply to this message.

Composing room, Harrison and Sons, Printing House Lane, Hayes, Middlesex. 1950.
From left: Neville Jackman, Joe Hillier, Bert Archer, Frank Farrant, Bert Edwards, Bill Cummins, Harold Harrison, Bill Morrisey, Charley Varnel, Bill Harries, Ernie Bray (aged 17), Cyril Cross, Vic Spall.
The job on the stones in the foreground is probably voters' list.
Bill Cummins and Charley Varnel are working on record labels which we printed for EMI and Decca.
The tops of the two Linotypes can be seen at the back on the left.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

frobson

:) hi  My name is Rob Clayton
      I never worked at Harrisons but at one time knew Simon Economou who served his apprenticeship at Harrisons before he joined Mars.
My reason for contacting you is that I am a member of the Printing Historical Society we are are building up an archive of factual stories covering the changes in the British printing industry during the second half of the 20th century we are also holding a conference in London at the St Bride Institute on 22nd and 23rd April 2008  the title is FROM HOT METAL TO HOT KEYS if you would like further info please email me at      or write to me Rob Clayton  In the Print
            PO Box No 4119
            Wells  BA5 2UF                     regards Rob Clayton

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚