Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

End of an era in Northwestern Ohio, USA

Started by wsmith50, November 03, 2013, 01:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

wsmith50

The end of October sees the end of primarily hot type weekly newspaper in the United States
All of my adult life I knew that the days of the Continental News-Review were numbered, but until today their always was some slim hope someone would carry on the newspaper's publication.  The paper published on Wednesday October 30, 2013 for the last time.  See the attached image.
The last time I was at the paper, the owner was still working to get out the paper and other ad publications, but at age 87 he seemed frail and just about worn out.  I really don't know how he kept going this long, 
The publication of the News-Review has spanned three distinct printing processes. Starting with hand set movable type, then cast lead type and at the end the addition of photo offset type.
In the final years the paper was still primarily set on hot type machines (Linotype).  The galleys were "proofed" and striped together with photos and other photo-like elements to make the pages that were "shot" and printed on an offset press (Heidelberg).  The old flatbed press although still in the building has not been used for years. 
I will post the text of the front page and history if the interest is shown.

Dave Hughes

Hi wsmith, and welcome to the Metal Type Forum.

Interesting story. I'm wondering how many newspapers still use hot metal, either in the USA or globally.

Even the ones using more conventional, modern process techniques are struggling in the present economic climate.

Perhaps the ones who haven't spent a lot on new printing equipment are in a better financial position.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

tjtrower

I was unaware that this paper used hot metal -- I would certainly love to see more about this newspaper and its story.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚