Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Cleaning the lubrication ducts

Started by Keri Szafir, June 03, 2016, 11:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Keri Szafir

Every now and then I have a problem with composition caster's pump not kicking in after 0075 or 0075+0005 signals...
The problem lies under the machine's main stand, within the pump trip mechanism. The clutch formed by 68E (pump cam lever connecting rod), 33H (pump rocker arm) and 34H (pump operating lever) does not engage when it should.
It can occur because of insufficient lubrication. Every few days I do a little computer-controlled casting demonstration, the machine usually runs for a few minutes and casts a handful lines of type. So, it's never working too hard, and I oil it once a week or so, and I always remember about the two little recesses in the main stand (one next to the pump stanc, and the other one next to the paper tower). But yesterday I realised: what if the copper tubes are obstructed? Blowing some air into each of the holes could help, but the recess is a bit inaccessible, so I had to extend the gun with a piece of 4mm plastic tube. Two holes didn't let the air through and started only after I claned them with a piece of wire.
So, the moral is: don't trust your machine, check the oil ducts from time to time...
Super casters are also partially affected - they have one recess next to the pump mechanism.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚