Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

US and UK keybars and stopbars

Started by David Bolton, February 19, 2024, 05:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

David Bolton

I know the UK and US stopbars are differently numbered, apart from S5, but are they physically different, I.e. can one tell one from the other?

Same goes for keybars. But more confusingly, the older US ones seem to be numbered C, C2, etc, and the C one seems to be both left and right hand, so is there any physical difference between left and right? The UK ones have a lug on the side which makes it obvious.

And also confusing, to me, is that the Unit Arrangements also seem to be numbered C, C1,etc, or have I misread something?

(I am in the slow process of updating my on-line lists, using the info in the M&H lists that Bill Welliver has put on-line)


Quick Reply

Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚