Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

A New Character is Born

Started by Dave Hughes, March 29, 2024, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Here's a great photo story that was posted on Instagram by forum member @Nicolas Regamey showing how a brand new Monotype decoration was drawn, engraved, cast and printed.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5HMPo0I2iQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Machine Translation of the post
For the first time a character has been drawn, engraved, cast and printed!

According to a vine flower drawing (also called aldine flower) an engraving in brass was made by @hinderer.muehlich to make it a monotype display matrix body 24. The latter was then milled to fit the Supra smith support.

First tests are more or less good and a first impression made. Right after, a small composition for labels is realized to the greatest joy of the typographer and his stomach!

There's still a lot of work to improve on to regain the knowledge of old lead character creators/founders. But it's already a big step in the realization of this beautiful dream to be able to design, engrave, melt, print these own lead characters in the workshop again!

L'aventure Monotype continue!!!
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Nicolas Regamey

Thank you, Dave, for sharing my various print adventures on the forum. I am currently writing and translating into English my beginnings as a monotype founder, whether with my composition caster or my "brand-new" SuperCaster, which arrived in my workshop just a month ago.

I'll be back soon to tell you about this first attempt at creating a matrix. The result is good, even very good for a first try. There are various little things to improve, and I'm thinking about that. See you soon for some fresh updates!

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚