Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

The Printing Stewards - appeal

Started by Dave Hughes, July 22, 2024, 10:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Forum member @Val Lucas is involved in this project to preserve the American Type Founders (ATF) collection of matrices and machinery.

They have a Patreon page where you can make a donation to this worthwhile project. Membership starts at $3 per month and there is also a free membership option.

I've got to admit I know very little about the Barth Typecaster machines that are being preserved. I guess they were machines that were only found at type foundries, and not print shops.

Here's a great Instagram post that gives you a taste of the project:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9Z9S0URRzi/

And, if like me, you know very little about the Barth typecaster, here is a video from David MacMillan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfsZfqG4x0E
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Val Lucas

Thanks for sharing this, Dave! I didn't know much about Barth casters either until I was able to make the trip to Piqua to see them.

David MacMillan had just worked on the 24pt machine in Antwerp, and together we did a thorough assessment of the machines here in Greg Walters' collection, now preserved by The Printing Stewards.

The Barth automatics were all from ATF, acquired at the auction in 93 or later. They were running day and night to produce the massive amount of type needed by ATF.

Some machines had then been converted to zinc casting by Kingsley, for foil stamping. These were never meant to exist outside the foundry.

Our goal is to fix up as many as possible and cast type with them again, from the original ATF and other foundry mats in the collection as well!

The upcoming relaunch of the ATF Newsletter will include a Census and general overview of the Barth casters by David MacMillan.

Https://americantypecastingfellowship.org

Here is the 72 point Barth:

Dave Hughes

Thank you for the additional information and the picture of what I assume is the largest typecaster.

It would be wonderful to see these machines producing type again, but I hope it won't negatively affect the businesses that currently produce and supply Monotype type.

I'm excited to see how this project develops!

Geoff Quadland

I would be interested in knowing how many Barth casters are still in the USA, and where they are.

Also, is there a list of ATF mats for the Barth, other than those in the Smithsonian, which are in the USA and conceivably available for use? (I'm drooling over the thought of more great fonts which could eventually be available).

Dave Hughes

Here's some great pictures of a selection of the decorative mats in the collection, posted on Instagram by @Val Lucas (Bowerbox Press):

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9aFzCDxaGf/

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚