Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

What to do with a lot of old hot metal books and literature?

Started by GJN1967, January 03, 2013, 11:54:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

GJN1967

Hi, new here.

I have a lot of old linotype, ludlow, typeface and manual books recently inherited as well as a few old bits and pieces of machinery. For example, books: Specimens of Printing Types and catalogue of material by Caslon Ltd, 1929, a large thick book; Ludlow Typefaces, another large thick book, no date but a note about installing a machine in 1957; Mouldtype specimen book; The British Printer dating from the 1930/40/50s. This is just a few there's lots more most in very good condition some in poor condition.

So what do I do with these, I'd like to sell them as there sre some very nice books and would be a shame to scrap them but I need the space, what's the best thing to do with them, put them on the classifieds here or ebay, no idea of value so wouldn't know what to sell them for, but like I said I don't want to take them to the dump ... any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks

stafford baker

First of all check St Brides Printing Library, they may want some or all, then the John Jarrold Printing Museum in Norwich, 
Then the Scottish Type Museum in Coupar Angus, and finally small ads in the Printing Heritage Trust journal (free), and or the journal of the British Printing Society  Please please not the dump!

britishletterpress

Hi!

You can see from my website at http://britishletterpress.co.uk that I rely heavily on books like yours.

Please message me on here or through the contact from on my site to discuss what you have.

Regards

Ben

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚