The Model 4 was introduced in 1908. It was the first hot-metal linecaster with the capacity to hold three magazines of matrices. It had a single distributor to return matrices to their magazines after use.
An automatic font distributor prevented the matrices entering the wrong magazine. The Model 4 was the first machine to be equipped with an automatic quadder.
It allowed the operator to insert “white space” into a line of print: at the beginning of an indented paragraph for example.
The Whittaker machine only has two magazines in place and the keyboard is missing.
This machine was used by E. Batey Typesetters of Ducie Street, Manchester.